AG Holding would like to share with you interesting facts about Rice – one of the most common cultivated grains in the world.
- According to International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) half of world’s population, three and half billion people depend on rice. China is the leading rice producer in the world.
- There are more than 40,000 different varieties of rice. Of the 40,000 varieties, more than 100 are grown worldwide, but only around 10 percent are marketed and sold.
- Rice is a symbol of life and fertility, which is why rice was traditionally thrown at weddings.
- Uncooked white rice has long shelf life, about eight to 10 years. However, uncooked brown has shelf life of only three to six months, primarily due to bran and germ being intact.
- Practically everywhere, except Antarctica! Rice is grown on flooded land and on dry land, in tropical rain forests of Africa and in arid deserts of the Middle East, on coastal plains and on the Himalayan mountains.
Do you want to know how to cook this rice? Visit our recipe page.
5 Interesting Facts About Rice Everyone Should Know